Your Minutes Matter

Time is money. And for skilled union workers, it's worth a lot.

Late starts, long breaks, and early quits can cost clients half a million dollars every week. With our current economic reality, some clients have started hiring non-union workers to cut costs. Putting in a full day's work helps protect union jobs—and over 85% of us are already doing it.

rr2978-0107-PRINT_FLT-sm.jpg

Our landscape
has changed.

As we all know, the boom is over. There are less projects, less jobs, and less money to go around. Things have never been tougher for workers and clients alike. 

When everything was going full steam, clients needed all the workers they could get. Things weren’t as buttoned down. Coming in late, extending breaks, and taking off early wasn’t too big of deal. These days, slim profit margins have made productivity more important than ever. It’s been estimated that lost time on tools can cost a single client up to $80,000/day. That’s over $1 million every two weeks.

 Clients pay a premium for union workers. Over 85% of us are doing a great job, putting in a full day’s work, every day. But the impact of the other 15% can’t be ignored. To cut down on costs, some clients have started hiring non-union workers for jobs that unions used to be able to rely on. We have to act now to prove the value union workers bring to the table.

 
rr2978-0027-PRINT_FLT-sm.jpg

We need to protect union jobs.

The “Your Minutes Matter” campaign is about two things: celebrating the value of skilled union tradespeople and educating our union workforce about the potential impacts of late starts, long breaks, and early quits. We want contractors and clients to be confident that union workers are the best labour supply out there. Ultimately, we want to protect union jobs today—and for years to come.

 To demonstrate our commitment to both clients and workers, we will be rolling out new Rules of Engagement this fall.

 
rr2978-0194-PRINT_FLT-sm.jpg

New Rules of
Engagement are coming.

This fall, keep an eye out for the new Rules of Engagement. Contractors will be making it easy for union workers to read through and sign the document.  

 The Rules of Engagement will reinforce your existing employment contract and help prove to clients that union workers are dedicated to putting in a full day’s work, every day on the job. If you’re interested in reading through the document, you can download it now.

 

 
rr2978-0107-PRINT_FLT-sm.jpg

About GPMC/NMC

We’re the General Presidents’ Maintenance Committee for Canada/National Maintenance Council for Canada (GPMC/NMC). If you haven’t heard of us, it’s because our work happens behind the scenes. For 67 years, GPMC/NMC has been negotiating and administering multi-trade agreements for maintenance work on industrial facilities. These agreements secure employment for thousands of skilled tradespeople in 13 trades across the country. That adds up to over 28 million hours of maintenance work and $1.1 billion in wages and benefits every year across 120 different employers.

 We have three key stakeholders: union workers, contractors, and clients. Our first priority is offering skilled tradespeople the chance to earn good money in stable, long-term jobs that continue after construction is complete. We also help contractors develop practical approaches to upcoming projects and provide them with info they can use to bid on maintenance work. Finally, we help clients access the highly skilled tradespeople they need to maintain complex industrial facilities.

 Learn more at gpmccanada.com 

 


 

Get in touch.

If you have any questions or comments you’d like to share, drop us a line. We’re here to
listen and help.

Name *
Name
 
 

Are you a contractor or union representative?